Monday, December 10, 2007

No More Nursing

Today was day one of not nursing Owen. It's a little sad, but I'm mostly happy to be finished with it. We lasted 13.5 months, which is much longer than I had originally thought we'd make it. I was sick on Sunday and couldn't sleep because Owen wanted to constantly nurse, so I decided then that I was finished and that it would be his last time. He was down to only once in the morning anyway, so it wasn't very hard to do. This morning was a little rough though. He normally wakes up around 5:00 am or so, nurses, then goes back to sleep until 7:00 am. Not today! He woke up and stayed awake! I offered him a sippy of milk and tried rocking him, but he wasn't having it. We ended up just getting up for the day. Hopefully things will get easier.

When I first decided that I was going to breastfeed, I set a goal of 3 months. Once we hit the 3 month mark, I said 6 months. We made it to 6 months with no problems, so I decided to just keep going until Owen wanted to wean himself. Well, my child was slightly attached to nursing, so I don't think he'd ever completely wean himself. He was down to once a day, so I figured now was as good a time as any. It's such a bittersweet thing for some reason. I really didn't think it would be so emotional, but it is. I'm happy that we lasted this long though. Going this long was a big surprise to me and I honestly never imagined we'd do it for this long.

No comments: